Buddy Battle 2016 Love
During the weeks before our annual Buddy Battle, as I try to recruit teams to participate, it is really hard to convey how fun it is to a member who has never done it before. The event is so experiential that it’s hard to pitch the intangibles to someone. But afterwards, people will always come up to me — people who I may have really coerced into trying it — and tell me what an amazing experience it was for them.
Athletes get difference things out of putting themselves on the line, especially for a partner, so it’s hard to say if everyone had the exact experience, but the the general sky-high level of energy was palpable. The buzz lingers long after the last WOD is done. And that’s exactly why I love our brand of good-natured competition. It’s nerve-wracking and exciting and scary and empowering — but it always feels safe and welcoming. I witnessed the same level of effort across the board no matter the division or level of athleticism. It was a joy to watch and MC.
Stand out moments for me:
- Watching the Ruthless Rookies (Natalie and Mandy) warm up and decide they would not scale the Party weight. Just to see their confidence in their abilities even though they’re relatively new was a triumph for me, too, as their coach. And they were right, they didn’t need to scale at all.
- Watching the collective child care duties shift seamlessly from one person to the next. There were so many babies and young children here at one point and the way in which everyone handled their care confirmed what a village-like community we are.
- Fernando and Matt’s costume changes between WODs.
- Clint’s face — as he tried to hide — when he heard he was in a tie breaker again after being in the epic 2014 tie breaker, and after he told me earlier that day that he would in no way be in another.
- Tom Costain’s face when he heard he won the Men’s Party division with Krasnow.
- Watching the Master-8-ers (Todd and Justin) lift a total of 810lbs for their 2RM Deadllift … in the Party category.
- Watching Team Quality (Bonds and Carlson) execute their plan beautifully.
- Witnessing how selfless and considerate all our members are within a partner context.
I know there are many more amazing moments — and I’d love to hear what were your favorites.
Mainly, I want to thank you guys for being such an excellent group of people.
12 Burpee box jumps (24/20)
9 Cleans and jerks (135/95)
5 RFQR (30s:30s)
Balancing foot-hand crawl
Squat snatches (60%)
Front squat (Of 2RM + 4-10lb)
75% x 5
85% x 3
95% x 1+